Some of you might be thinking, come on, it’s 2015! Of course we know how to use social media. Well, you might be surprised! Sure, you know how to post, tweet, retweet, like, and follow, but if you’re a business owner, salesperson, or marketer, you need to know how to brand yourself and your product/service. What do you want people to know and what do you want people to do because of it?
Here are five tips on how to effectively use social media for branding and marketing:
- Find your audience. There’s no point in using Instagram if your audience isn’t using Instagram. Find out what social medium the majority of your audience is on. It might be more than one! Ask your friends, colleagues, current clients/customers what they most often use. Once you find the right platform, make your presence known. Post, post, post
- Language is key. You might be a doctor or an attorney, but you most likely are not targeting other doctors and attorneys. So don’t speak in your professional industry’s lingo. I could be a potential patient or client, and if I see a post on my News Feed with language that I don’t understand, I move right along and ignore it. Put yourself in a customer’s point of view. Speak simple.
- It’s not always about the product/service. If you try to push a product or service in every single post that you publish, you will come across as a salesperson. No one likes ‘being sold.’ Show that you care about your audience and that you are an expert in the industry by posting articles, blog posts, or helpful tips within your industry. You will become the expert that people look to for health advice, legal advice, etc.
- Find your differentiating factor. Why you? Why your product/service? I love pizza. But why should I call you for delivery instead of Papa John’s or Pizza Hut? Do you have a different style pizza, different prices, or different toppings? What is it that sets you apart? Find it and tell people through your social media and marketing.
- Measure. The most important thing for business people and marketing is being able to measure your marketing efforts. How do you know if your social media is being effective? First, ask yourself what you want your audience to do after seeing your posts. Do you simply want a bigger following on social media? Do you want your posts to lead to business calls? Do you want social media engagement? Make a numeric and reasonable goal, and try to measure it monthly.
There’s a lot more to social media than many think. Social media has become a platform for not only individuals to speak their mind, but also for businesses to brand themselves and speak to their audience. What do you have to say? Why is it so important and what do you want us to do now?
These tips are simply tips. There is a lot more you can do with your posts and tweets to be successful in marketing, but with these 5 simple tips, you should be able to get a good start.